Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hotel Review

11 51st St. New York City


The Jewel Facing Rockefeller is clean, efficient and in the perfect location.  Half a block from St. Patrick’s, Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall.  An easy cab ride or by subway, close enough to the excitement of NYC, but not stuck in the middle of it.

The rate on price-matching sites was the same as booking direct, check in was easy with their self-check in, though an attentive staff helped me from the moment I walked in the door.  Room 601 on the front of the building, right next to the purified water station.  (A nice perk as water in the city can be as much as $3 a bottle.) 

The room reminds me of a cruise ship room – built long and narrow but efficient.  I was pleased with the spotless bathroom with amenities and a blow-dryer.  A place to put my suitcase and a wardrobe to hang my clothes.  A comfortable sitting chair with a swing out work surface and a generous work desk with a good task light and easily accessible outlet as well as a work chair I was trying to figure out how to steal it was so comfortable.  I had requested a mini-fridge and a microwave which were already in my room, right under the flat screen TV that swiveled for easy viewing.  The comfortable queen size bed had plenty of soft CLEAN bedding and pillows.  The nightstand had iPod docking station / Alarm clock, plenty of outlets and USB chargers; this is also where the thermostat is located. 


The frosted glass window in the bathroom door worked well as a night light, kept the bathroom light on without it blinding me overnight.

The view from the 6th floor isn’t too exciting, straight ahead is an office building (with people who work late, if you are a people watcher.)  But you can see into the courtyard to Rockefeller Center, and looking left and right you can see the steeples of St. Pats and the light of Radio City.

The dining arrangement with the neighboring “Club Quarters” is nice.  A 20% discount on food and a free drink voucher.  Their “all season outdoor” dining was nice. Food was fine, but there are many great casual restaurants in the area including Bill’s Burgers, Johnny Utah’s and Simply Fresh. 

I would say that the price is right for NYC, the room is the right size for one or two people and the staff is great.  I came into my room at 11:30 one night and staff was cleaning the water station and fire extinguisher.  When I had a problem closing my window at 1am, polite staff quickly took care of the problem. 

I was able to store my luggage at no charge for the day as I spent the day around town.  Cab’s do not often drive by this way, so you might be better off trying to hail one on 5th or 6th Ave.  Upper floors have rooms with a balcony that would overlook Rockefeller, might be worth the extra price.  All in all, I would stay there again for sure as well as recommending it to others. 

 (Left)
This is the night stand - everything you need right next to the bed and a lower shelf for your favorite best seller.






(Below)
This is the room, long and narrow.  You can't see the bathroom, it is to my left.  Skinny but efficent.

 

1 comment:

  1. wow you are in depth I'll give you that one. You should work for the hotels you like. You write very comfy reviews

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think!