Friday, September 28, 2012

A side of Lobster Tail

A restaurant review

1135 US Rt. 1, Yarmouth ME, 04096

I like any place where you can get a side dish that is as impressive as an entrée.  Just south of Freeport along the marsh you find the Muddy Rudder with its clean exterior and outdoor seating, the inside is even better.  This tiered space and a wall of glass allows you a view of the marsh, a nice touch.  You can also dine in the bar area which has some TV’s if you want to catch a game or some news.  This seafood restaurant has the decor to match, but it is not overdone.

So my dad had the lobster bisque, rich and creamy with chunks of lobster, a great start.  As was the basket of bread with sweet butter, yummy.  He also got the fried clams, extra crispy as requested and he said they were great.  Mom opted for the 1.25 pound lobster dinner that was on special that night.  It came with corn on the cob and potatoes, you could get it stuffed or lazy for an additional charge but “as is” seemed just right, bib and all.

Killing that Grapefruit Sorbet!!

I opted for the marinated stake tips; I ordered them medium rare, which doesn’t always happen with tips… these were PERFECT.  The marinade was a house blend that they bottle and sell, very tasty.  They were more than happy to switch the mixed veggies for asparagus, and it was good (even to this non veggie eater!)  Dessert was most memorable for me.  They work with a local dairy farm, Toots, and they get their icecream and sorbet from there.  After reading off a laundry list of deserts I tried the Grapefruit sorbet.  Yup, I’m going to say it… OMG!!  It had the more true to taste flavor I have ever had in a sorbet.  It was light and tart and I wanted more!

The service was great and they even had a live piano player.  Though the music was a bit old fashioned I was told they had different entertainment on the weekends that is more modern.  He was very good though.  The place is under new management and seem to be doing well.  I did find it all to be a bit over priced for me to be a regular, but for a special occasion, not a problem.

In the ladies room there was a bowl of sugar scrub; it was great and is also for sale at the hostess station.  A few things I know they offer… a gluten free menu and a Sunday Brunch – looks amazing, might have to go back and check it out one weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think!