Saturday, March 10, 2012

The 41st Annual Hartford St. Patty’s Day Parade

“I’m a quarter Irish” takes on a whole new meaning whenever I attend a St. Patty’s day Parade.  And it’s even more exciting when I get to be IN the parade!  This year I got to help on the float of the Mulcahy Academy, an Irish dance school I plan to spend more time with! 

It was a beautiful day for a parade, sunny but chilly.  On the back of a flat bed truck this float even had a dance floor for two girls who danced the entire route.  Leading our float were students who danced for the crowds, banner carriers, dance moms and fellow dancers who were there in memory of a friend who had just passed away.  This year I was there as a helper for the little kids who waved from the float.  Lots of chilly kids under green blankets shaking pom-pom.  From the back of the float I got to see a handful of familiar faces and that is always a great part of being in the parade.



This parade welcomed groups from a dozen towns, with an expected 65,000 spectators and follows a simple route from the state Capitol, down State St. past the Bushnell and beautiful Brownstones, before turning on to Main Street.  Past the library, local business and the Gold building then turning onto Asylum Ave. where the only Irish Pub on the route is flooded with patrons.  Defiantly the most rowdy part of the day!  Finishing at the Memorial Arch, it is wonderful way to see Hartford, show off your Irish roots and spend a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think!